Tuesday, 13 February 2018

Skiing Wed 14th Feb

The Weardale Ski Club Ltd

Why not celebrate Valentines day with your beloved (ski club or partner) tomorrow as we appear to have had a good covering of snow looking at the webcams.There seems to have been quite a bit of drifting but also excellent cover on all the runs by the look of it.
We are planning to open on Wednesday from 0930
Day members welcome - please print off the day membership form and bring it with you along with the correct money and speak to a tow operator BEFORE skiing.
The road may be tricky depending on drifting and whether the snow plough has been up so ideally 4wd or chains but you might be OK with snow tyres after a few people have been up.
Weather looks good in the morning but snow/sleet/rain in the afternoon so do not turn up late as there may be an early close.

Steve

Sunday, 11 February 2018

Snow report Sun 11th Feb

The Weardale Ski Club Ltd

2 Board members opened up today and below is the report. There is more snow forecast this week but it is unclear how much and how strong the winds will be so as soon as we know whether we can open up I will send an update and also update twitter, Facebook, snow-line etc. The good news from the Met Office is that they are pretty certain that the weather pattern is going to follow 2013 and give us a very cold 2nd half of February and March so lets hope that includes plenty of snow.
Steve

Sunday 11th Feb report
An acceptable day's skiing for advanced skiiers
5 members came up - conditions were generally hard and fast with sufficient soft patches to give the knees a rest and with  some good sunshine. We did not open F2 due to moderate westerly wind which was gusting up to 30mph


Skiing Sunday 11th Feb

The Weardale Ski Club Ltd

There is a thin covering of snow so tow operators are planning to open from about 0945. Conditions look marginal but temperature is -2 so it should be ski-able. Due to a moderate fresh wind it might be only possible to ski the lower runs which is where the better snow looks to be anyway.

The road may well be icy as the snow was preceded by rain so ensure you are prepared.

Steve

Saturday, 10 February 2018

Possible skiing Sunday 11th Feb

The Weardale Ski Club Ltd

Sadly the wind and rain made skiing unsafe today as we have been left with a mixture of ice,bare patches and deep heavy snow. Once again the weather forecast is hard to interpret for tomorrow with different sites suggesting rain followed by snow in varying amounts so we are going to postpone a decision until the morning on whether to open tomorrow. I would suggest look at the webcam at about 8am and assess conditions and if the snow looks good we will open and I will update the ski-line (01388 317767) and the facebook and twitter sites.

If we do open then that is likely to imply fresh snow on the road so do not travel unless you can confidently cope with the road - better to hitch a lift up.

Steve

Snow melt

The Weardale Ski Club Ltd

Sadly looks like we had rain overnight which seems to have washed away most of the snow and it looks very unlikely we will be able to ski today. We will have a fell inspection at 9am and if we plan to open will update the Twitter and Facebook pages but currently looks a non starter. Still hopeful we may get some for tomorrow.

Steve

Friday, 9 February 2018

Skiing this weekend

The Weardale Ski Club Ltd

There was a fell inspection today and after some lousy weather this morning the sun came out and there was a surprising amount of good snow on F1 though F2 was rather bare in places. The forecast for the weekend is hard to interpret and it looks like the cold temperatures tonight will keep what snow we have for tomorrow morning but temperatures are predicted to rise in the afternoon so it may well end early. We are then predicted snow overnight Sat/Sun which will hopefully make Sunday good.

We are planning to open Saturday morning from about 10am but please note that we may well close early and we may only run F1. Hopefully we will have both running on Sunday but will update tomorrow night. 

Members only at weekends so please bring along your membership cards.

The road may be icy so do not attempt to drive up without at least snow tyres and ideally have chains and a shovel and ensure that when you park you are not obstructing the road at all or blocking any gates. There have been quite  enough incidents on the road this season already!

Steve

Snow update

The Weardale Ski Club Ltd

We have had a covering of snow overnight but it has fallen on wet ground and looks like it will be very heavy and hard going so we are not planning to open today sadly. Will keep watching what happens and there is a possibility we might open this weekend but they are predicting warmer weather tomorrow so uncertain at this time.
Steve